Web180927: Fully integrated WtE with waste recycling - Marseille a case study
About the webinar
This webinar was for anyone interested in extracting value from residual organic waste and thus contributing to a sustainable low carbon future to attend this webinar.
As New Zealand and Australian cities transition to have zero organic waste to landfill the opportunity for using waste by recycling or the production of energy gets easier. Internationally this is being done in a number of cities. This is the first in a series of case studies demonstrating how it can be done.
In 2005, Urbaser, part of the CNTY Group, secured the contract to Design, Build, Finance and Operate for a 20 year period the Municipal Solid Waste generated in Marseille’s region involving 18 municipalities and 440,000 tons of waste per year. The Facility aims to reduce the amount of waste sent to landfills, the maximisation of valuable materials recycled from the waste, the reduction of greenhouse emissions and the use of best available technologies. The Facility includes a Materials Recycling Facility, an Organic Processing Facility – through anaerobic digestion and composting , and a Thermal Processing facility. In 2010 operations started and has consistently achieved a 90% landfill diversion rate. The presentation covered:
- Outlined how waste recovery, recycling and the production of energy has succeeded in the Marseille’s region
- Explained the relationships between the parties
- Outlined the critical actions necessary for such a project to be a success
- Outlined the potential pitfalls and how they can be avoided.
- Waste management in Mallorca - for an island like Mallorca, which lives from tourism and as a consequence from its landscape and territory, having a waste management model based on zero waste dumping is not a whim, but rather an obligation. Read more ...>
About the presenter
David García de Herreros (view Urbaser S.A. website) has over 20 years of project management experience in the waste collection and treatment industry with Urbaser S.A. Major projects include waste collection and street cleansing in Casablanca (Morocco), project manager for the waste collection and indoor cleaning at the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, and construction of major integrated waste treatment facilities (including recycling and composting). During 8 years he was responsible for Urbaser`s business in North America. He is General manager for the Chinese and Southeast Asian market.
Access the recording and slides
Click on the following link to listen to a recording of the webinar and view the slides.Sorry! This document can only be viewed by Bioenergy Association members.
Please log in to view it: